Thai Crab Curry Recipe
If you love Thai food, chances are, you know and love curry. Full of flavor and aroma, Thai curries are almost impossible to resist. Thai Crab Curry, also known as Boo Paht Pong Karee, is unique to Thai cuisine and is a must-try recipe for all curry enthusiasts. It requires some basic and some unusual ingredients, but pretty much everything can be found in an Asian market if you aren’t sure where to look. There are many variations of this dish (though coconut milk is one ingredient that you absolutely cannot substitute for best results), but here is one recipe for you to try out for your next dinner!
Ingredients For Thai Crab Curry Recipe:
- 1 lb. of crab meat
- 2-8 chopped chili peppers
- 1-2 in. piece of ginger
- 6 chopped cloves of garlic
- 5 chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp. lime zest
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 cups of coconut milk (not to be confused with cream of coconut!)
- 1 chopped stalk of lemongrass (white parts only)
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. of black pepper
- 2 tbsp. of chopped cilantro (garnish)
Instructions For Thai Crab Curry Recipe:
- First, you are going to want to use most of the ingredients to create a paste. Combine the chili peppers, ginger, garlic, shallots, coriander, zest, salt, and lemongrass. Pound it into a paste with a mortar and pestle (recommended) or with a food processor. Both methods work, but the mortar and pestle is better known for really bringing out the flavor.
- In a wok or large pot, simmer coconut milk for 5-6 minutes. Add the mixture from Step 1 and stir for 2-3 minutes, making sure to remand constant and consistent as you stir. Make sure to keep the mixture at a simmer, not a hard boil.
- Add the crab and sugar and cook for about 5 minutes or until the crab is warmed through. At this point, your kitchen should be filled with the aroma of the curry.
- Finally, add black pepper and cilantro to garnish. Serve over white rice. Feel free to also top with another chopped chili for a spicy garnish as well.
- Enjoy your Thai Crab Curry! Don’t forget to share!
If you feel confident with the recipe and want to try a couple of variations, add 1 tsp. of shrimp paste to the mixture in Step 1 as well as 2 tbsp. of fish sauce and 3-4 lemon or lime leaves to Step 3. Also feel free to experiment with other seafood like swordfish to add body to the dish if you are feeling particularly bold. Feel free to add a little more or less of other ingredients like salt and black pepper to taste.
Hopefully, your attempt at Thai Crab Curry transports you to Thailand for an evening, at least in terms of taste. Enjoy a healthy and aromatic meal that will really spice up your dining experience. Make sure to share with friends and family and to maybe even add the recipe to your next dinner party!